POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ignorant question re: noise (5kbbu) : Re: Ignorant question re: noise (5kbbu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 15:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ignorant question re: noise (5kbbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Jan 2000 16:05:43
Message: <chrishuff_99-D08175.16055207012000@news.povray.org>
In article <38764dcf@news.povray.org>, "omniVERSE" <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> Whoa, did I not catch on to this reasoning at all!
> If x=3 it will be x=3 when 2*x??
> Okay, I'm lost.  Unless it's a average of the noise function....

No, if the function returns a certain value at 6 units along the x
axis(x=6), than if it is given 2*x instead of x, it will think x=6 when
it is really x=3. So the value that showed up at 6 units now shows up at
3 units.

N=What the function "sees"
V=The real value

With N=V:

  0   1   2   3   4   5   6
N |   |   |   |   |   |   |

  0   1   2   3   4   5   6
V |   |   |   |   |   |   |

With N=2*V

  0 1 2 3 4 5 6

  0   1   2   3   4   5   6

See what I mean now? If the function returned A at x=6 when given x, it
will give A at x=3 when given 2*x.

Sorry, I am not good at explaining this kind of thing.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom